E2 Visa and How to Change It Into Green Card

The U.S. is a country that promises many chances where you can make your dream come true. For example, you can start a business, invest in an existing business, and make money there. However, like when you visit this country for other purposes, you also need a visa. What you need here is an E-2 Visa. However, there is a special requirement that a person can receive an E-2 Visa.

What is E-2 Visa?

E-2 Visa can only be given to the person that has invested a lot in the U.S. According to the rule, you need to invest at least $100,000 to $200,000 in order to receive this visa. Moreover, your investment also must be at least provided 3 to 4 jobs.

Basically, this visa is issued for a person that has a big involvement in the U.S. business and creates employment for U.S. people. With this visa, you don’t need to worry, if you visit the U.S. for business purpose.

Applying for Green Card with E-2 Visa

Now, the question is can we change E2 Visa to Green Card? We have already given a lot to the U.S. and its people by providing jobs and invest a lot in this country. So, it’s not surprising, if a person that has this visa also feel comfortable in the U.S. and wants to live there as well. Therefore, they are trying to get a Green Card.

However, there is a problem here. When you apply for E-2 Visa, there is a statement that you only visit the U.S. for business purpose. It even stated that you will return to your country after you’ve finished your business in the U.S. that way, it seems impossible to have Green Card.

Green Card itself is a visa for U.S. immigrant. When you immigrate to the U.S. you can get this visa as proof of your citizenship. With this card, you can work and live permanently in the U.S. So, with just this description, we can say that it is the opposite of what was stated in E-2 Visa. This is also the reason, why we said it is almost impossible to apply for Green Card.

However, just like we said, it’s only “almost” impossible. It means there are ways you can use to turn your E-2 Visa to Green Card. Here is what you need to do, in order to get the Green Card by using your E-2 Visa.

  • Acquire EB-5 Visa that is specially issued for the investor,

  • Petition for EB-1 Visa, which is similar to EB-5. But, this one is issued for people with special abilities,

  • Acquire for Immediate Relative or Family Based Visa,

  • Change your status into Nonimmigrant Dual Intent Work Visa.

By using those four methods, you can change E2 Visa to Green Card like what you want. And, your status will be changed into Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) of the U.S. Once you get this status, you will get all the benefits that other citizens of the U.S. get. Of course, you also have a similar obligation and rule to follow like other people who live in the U.S.